The TORCS Racing Board
Username: Password: Remember Me?
Lost Password Register
Author: firechief | Created: 2016-08-09 06:32:19
Subject: E-Track-6 Review ... or ... DanDroid Strikes Back!
Hi everyone, what a great race! The quality of this competition just keeps getting better & better.

Without further ado, here is my customary photo-diary of the race as I saw it: http://imgur.com/a/gf4Ts

Only three of us submitted results, two of us on Windows, and it seems DanDroid's stellar performance didn't quite translate to Windows where it was a tenth of a second slower per lap. In fact on Linux DanDroid secured poll position and converted it to a 1-2 podium finish - if a few other people had run the race on that platform, Danny's prediction could have come true & we could have seen a different winner.

Even with the slightly slower Droid, it seems both John & I witnessed enthralling battles.

Looking at the championship leaderboard, Hymie still holds the lead but was beset with issues in this race and is starting to look vulnerable. The fiasco in race 1, which saw USR miss out on a significant haul of 18 points, is starting to tell now as DanDroid is looking extremely strong and the gap is far closer than USR would like.

And we're not even halfway through the season yet! Hymie/USR's dominance has been broken, and we have a fight on our hands :)

Other notable points out of the race - Jedi keeps improving, just a little more pace and he'll be contesting for podiums, especially if I keep forgetting to submit setups for the Mouse teams. And W-D's teams (well, the wdbee team) were surprisingly uncompetitive. Hopefully he has time to work on setups for the upcoming races.
Last Edited: 2016-08-09 06:57:56 by firechief
    Author: jisham | Created: 2016-08-09 16:13:30
    Subject: Re: E-Track-6 Review ... or ... DanDroid Strikes Back!
    I've been out of the loop here for a few years, and the car physics has changed, so I never really no how fast is fast. I usually spend a day tuning the car, and get what I think is fast, only to found out I'm 1.5 seconds off the pace and running midfield.

I did my usual tuning day this time, the car looked fast to my eye, but I can never tell, so I didn't get excited. It was far enough before the race, that I had time for a second tuning day, and couldn't really find any more speed in the car, but did manage to lower my damages to a comfortable level. Oh well, submit and see.

Qualifying was close, with the five top teams covered by 0.42 seconds. I didn't realize the mice (mouses?) had default setups and were off the pace... but I would miss mixing it up with them in the mid-pack :-)

As the race runs, I'm consistently at the bottom of the top 10, and excited. I'd gain a little in this corner, and lose a little in that corner, but mostly "on-the-pace". I wondered where Axiom and Sieger were, I'm used to seeing a lot of them in the rave -- was I really that fast? (no... they were slower than usual).

As pit stops cycle through, I find myself as high as 4th, if only briefly. Turns out my pit strategy wasn't optimal, and I took 4 pits stops, when the rest of the field took 3. That was enough to put me a lap down - but with only 2 laps remaining! And at the end there were 6 cars on the lead lap - quite a race!

Now, if only I had run one less pit stop.....

Great race, all!
    Last Edited: 2016-08-09 16:13:30 by jisham
      Author: firechief | Created: 2016-08-10 07:09:03
      > I did my usual tuning day this time, the car looked fast to my eye, but I can never tell...

I follow the basic rule of looking at DanDroid's results last year (or as recently as possible if the race wasn't run last year) and trying to beat it by at least half a second. Then I go all-out to scrape as much time off the lap as I can beyond that. I don't base times off Hymie's records last year as many of them were achieved with the buttered cat array.

Of course, if I can't get half a second faster than the Droid's time, I start to panic. Especially as on e-track-6 the Droid (for the first time this year) succeeded in improving on his previous time - and by half a second as well!
      Last Edited: 2016-08-10 07:09:03 by firechief
    Author: dummy | Created: 2016-08-09 16:38:01
    Yes this championship is very much alive! Thanks Andrew.

In my race the first 4 (Droids and USR's) finished within 3.5 seconds. Never seen such a close race. The difference wasn't Windows or Linux, I had to run the race a second time and submitted the better result, it was that close :)

So it's Mercedes power in USR. That explains everything.
    Last Edited: 2016-08-09 16:38:01 by dummy
      Author: firechief | Created: 2016-08-10 07:03:32
      > In my race the first 4 (Droids and USR's) finished within 3.5 seconds. Never seen such a close race. The difference wasn't Windows or Linux...

I actually think the Windows/Linux difference was significant - that 0.1 of a lap was enough to allow the USRs to open a gap on the DanDroids over time, whereas on your machine the race remained close.

> I had to run the race a second time and submitted the better result, it was that close :)

Ahhhhh I see how it is! Two can play that game >:)

... well, only within reason. A slower car won't win no matter how many times the race is run. And I probably won't run it multiple times as it takes too long to collect all those screenshots ;)
      Last Edited: 2016-08-10 07:03:32 by firechief