The TORCS Racing Board
Username: Password: Remember Me?
Lost Password Register
Author: firechief | Created: 2016-10-05 13:57:01
Subject: Something new?
Its been a long looong time since I've worked on one of these...

http://i.imgur.com/HV5UPyd.png

Its not an original design, though I am taking artistic liberties with it :) Anyone recognize the track? I was really taken with its layout when I saw it in an article last week, I thought it would encourage lots of overtaking & be quite challenging setup-wise, as its surface has low grip & it has an interesting mix of low and high speed corners.
Last Edited: 2016-10-05 13:57:01 by firechief
    Author: jisham | Created: 2016-10-05 14:14:52
    Subject: Re: Something new?
    My first thought was palmer motorsports park / whiskey hill raceway

https://www.palmermotorsportspark.com/TrackMaps.aspx?Map=0

But I have to squint quite a bit to call them the same. It's about 10mi from my house, and I almost went to a HPDE there this summer.

If that's the track, the track guide says there are a lot of crowns and reverse camber corners, making for some unconventional lines, and the sequences of corners require you to sacrifice the line in the early corners to get the best line out of later corners.
    Last Edited: 2016-10-05 14:14:52 by jisham
      Author: firechief | Created: 2016-10-05 14:40:25
      That does look similar in many ways, but no its not it. I believe the real-life version of this track also has interesting corners, plus a lot of elevation changes. Its actually similar in character to Spa...
      Last Edited: 2016-10-05 14:40:51 by firechief
    Author: dummy | Created: 2016-10-05 21:05:36
    I think it starts with A. Is it called a-track-1?

But seriously, this was easy with this link ;)

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/see-all-the-worlds-best-circuits-to-scale-in-one-incredible-map/

EDIT:
    Love this image http://www.autodromodoalgarve.com/images/track/track.jpg
    Last Edited: 2016-10-05 21:16:40 by dummy
      Author: jisham | Created: 2016-10-05 21:44:26
      I thought the A was for Andrew :-)

Is it "Between Two Lakes"?
      Last Edited: 2016-10-05 21:44:26 by jisham
        Author: jisham | Created: 2016-10-05 21:49:43
        OK, I just peeked at the answer key. I was only off by a continent or two. What's 12000mi between friends?
        Last Edited: 2016-10-05 21:49:43 by jisham
      Author: jisham | Created: 2016-10-06 19:38:01
      I thought the tower near the inner hairpin in http://www.autodromodoalgarve.com/images/track/track.jpg seemed familiar.... I think Chris Harris has reviewed a few cars on that track recently.
      Last Edited: 2016-10-06 19:38:01 by jisham
        Author: jisham | Created: 2016-12-06 13:34:52
        Awfully quiet around here... is there a race coming up or something?

This track was also featured in the first episode of the new season of Top Gear^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H The Grand Tour.
        Last Edited: 2016-12-06 13:34:52 by jisham
          Author: dummy | Created: 2016-12-06 16:46:48
          Indeed some race is coming soon. I guess it's quiet because all are working hard on it or no one cares about it :)

Final chance to win something this season, but I guess not.
          Last Edited: 2016-12-06 16:48:22 by dummy
    Author: joe | Created: 2016-10-06 02:18:26
    I thought Abu Dhabi at first. Not horribly far off shape-wise
    Last Edited: 2016-10-06 02:18:26 by joe
    Author: tougeproject | Created: 2016-10-07 14:10:12
    Circuit Algarve!!!!

I loved this track so much in GRID Autosport, would be killer to have this in TORCS.
    Last Edited: 2016-10-07 14:10:12 by tougeproject
    Author: firechief | Created: 2016-12-02 02:51:49
    Update: I hadn't had the chance to work on the track for a while, and when I came back to it over the last couple of days I thought perhaps it'd be better to work on something new rather than simply copy a real-world track.

Hence, here's my take on an upgrade of e-track-4:-

http://i.imgur.com/dqqUpdS.png

What I like about the existing e-track-4 is its incredibly high-speed nature with all those long challenging bends, and that phenomenal back straight. What I don't like are 2 things: the last sector after the back straight is pretty boring and lacks character, so I decided to make it something of a hill climb instead which adds some low-speed corners to the track. And the other thing is, this track hasn't been seen in a TRB championship for far too long. I'm hoping an upgrade would convince Bernhard to add it in next year (I'm also hoping he throws e-track-3 and dirt-3 into the mix as well).

As you can see from the screenshot, its early days. I've only just started defining the widths on the edges of the track, there's a lot of work to do. Any comments & suggestions would be most welcome :)
    Last Edited: 2016-12-02 02:51:49 by firechief
      Author: dummy | Created: 2016-12-02 17:25:34
      This is definitely an good upgrade to e-track-4. I agree with you that the last section was not as good as the rest and you fixed that one. Will be a challenging track regarding setup. Finding the setup is the part I don't like though ;)
      Last Edited: 2016-12-02 17:26:06 by dummy
    Author: firechief | Created: 2017-02-07 15:44:08
    Ok, so I didn't persevere with Algarve as I wanted something original, but I wasn't happy with my remake of e-track-4 either. So I started again with something completely new...

http://i.imgur.com/7Qc4KCz.png

This has a lot of subtle undulations which you can't see easily on the screenshot, but they're enough to make it interesting but not bumpy - I wanted to make a proper smooth racing circuit, not a street track. And I created this with robot authors in mind :)

The long straight (1.6km) is sufficient to reach high speeds, and will reward cars with minimal downforce setups hence creating a quandary for authors as other parts of the track will be hard to negotiate at high speed without steeper wing angles.

After the straight, the second half of which is downhill, the track climbs in a sequence of tightening curves including a lefthander that seems to last forever (idea borrowed from Shanghai). Then we're into fast curves before a hard downhill braking section, then a tight hairpin. A couple more 90 degree bends, and we're away on the back straight, which has two wicked high-speed curves (one of them has a negative camber), then another hard braking zone. Robots will try to either pull off a very risky pass on the fast curves, or know to be patient and wait for the braking zone for a safer pass.

Then into another series of mid-speed bends, alternately climbing and dropping, before we hit the main straight.

I've test-driven the track quite a lot, I really like how it flows. In pro mode setup won't be easy, and it'll encourage good racing with several areas that provide overtaking opportunities (and other areas that don't).

So the only thing left is to make it look nice! And here I've come to a bit of a halt - I haven't made a track like this in a long time so I have a lot to remember about the tricks I used in the past (I'm wishing I made better notes at the time). But the main problem is that I can't decide on a theme for what it should look like. Where in the world should this track be? In a forest? In a picturesque European valley like the Red Bull Ring in Austria? Surrounded by Arabian desert? Near a city center? Should I try to make a night track (not sure if that's even possible)?

Any ideas & suggestions would be most welcome!

By the way, I have time to develop this because so far, despite my best efforts, I still haven't been successful in landing a job & am trading the currency markets for a living. I'd much rather be working with people on something of value, but such is life I guess :\
    Last Edited: 2017-02-07 16:51:04 by firechief
      Author: dummy | Created: 2017-02-07 18:20:41
      You seem to be like me. At the moment I have the attention span of a nine year old :)

But joking aside, my favorite theme is forest like in Brondehach.

Would be nice to see this track in the championship. We need a new challenge.
      Last Edited: 2017-02-07 18:21:19 by dummy