The TORCS Racing Board
Username: Password: Remember Me?
Lost Password Register
Author: firechief | Created: 2017-05-31 04:08:41
Subject: Illegal setups (please don't use bellcrank)
I've noticed some cars, who shall remain nameless, setting values for Differential Type and Suspension Bellcrank. Neither of these are allowed under the rules, and as someone who's inadvertently made this mistake in the past I'd hate to see other people repeat my error.

In previous versions of TORCS, Bellcrank actually broke the simulation & allowed cars to take corners at impossible speeds. I'm not sure if that's still the case, but regardless we're not to use it.

Please, check your setups :)
Last Edited: 2017-05-31 09:37:35 by firechief
    Author: timfoden | Created: 2017-05-31 11:30:52
    Subject: Re: Illegal setups (please don't use bellcrank)
    I don't think you mean me, but it appears that I have left settings in for these things. As far as I'm aware though I've not changed any of them from the defaults for the car.

When I initially created the setup files for each car for this year I commented them out, but this appears to have got lost somewhere along the way. I'll make sure do so again for the next race.

Cheers, Tim.
    Last Edited: 2017-05-31 11:30:52 by timfoden
      Author: firechief | Created: 2017-05-31 12:09:28
      Subject: Re: Illegal setups (please don't use bellcrank)
      Yeah I feel like a wet blanket pointing it out, and I see the values in your files match those of the original car so obviously there's no attempt to use them to make the car faster.

I just remember how lousy the feeling was 2 years ago when I discovered that my use of bellcrank was against the current rules - really 2015 should have been Dandroid's championship. I'd hate to see that happen again, hence I thought I'd best mention it to prevent the chance of changes to those values being made by accident.
      Last Edited: 2017-05-31 12:10:14 by firechief