The TORCS Racing Board
Username: Password: Remember Me?
Lost Password Register
Author: firechief | Created: 2017-06-05 04:02:23
Subject: Review - Race 1 at Alpine-1
Here's my traditional pictorial race diary - I also talk about strategies & the difference made by the new tyre wear feature.

http://imgur.com/a/P7CT7

What are your thoughts? What did you see in the race? Will USR keep its edge over the field, or will the competition catch up quickly? Will we see more entrants for Wheel-2? And will Dummy/Mouse inject some life into their liveries?
Last Edited: 2017-06-05 05:37:08 by firechief
    Author: dummy | Created: 2017-06-05 07:25:23
    Subject: Re: Review - Race 1 at Alpine-1
    Thanks Andrew for a good review as usual ;)

What a dominance of the Shark Team (sorry USR)! This shouldn't have surprised me, but the lap time difference did.
    As I had no time reference, I really thought it can't be that far off. This changes now of course for the next race. I already realized what a bad setup I was driving, but it's so hard to find the best setup.

And of course I expect Mice and Tigers after showing their talent to get better and better as the season progresses and eat sharks for breakfast. There will be interesting times ahead :)

Danny

P.S. Sorry about the boring color schemes. At least you had more to write in the review ;)
    Last Edited: 2017-06-05 07:25:23 by dummy
      Author: firechief | Created: 2017-06-07 13:23:09
      > As I had no time reference, I really thought it can't be that far off

I must admit I did chuckle to myself at Bernhard's prediction in the poll-time "educated guess" thread ... Alpine-1: Qualifying: +7s

His reasoning for that guess was entirely sound, as in theory the lack of grip should compound, with less grip causing slower cornering speeds which reduces downforce which reduces cornering speed still further & requires more wing angle which reduces speed on the straights - but theory doesn't always match reality ;)

I think its because the cars in TORCS have far too much downforce, something pro mode doesn't reduce. Even with less grip, the downforce is still so great that they can take corners like early 2000s formula 1 cars.
      Last Edited: 2017-06-07 13:25:08 by firechief
    Author: fa1 | Created: 2017-06-05 11:50:58
    Cool summary that you've made. It was an interesting first race for me.
    But is it normal, that the race results differ so extremely between the different uploaded results? I was quite surprised by that.

Fabian
    Last Edited: 2017-06-05 11:50:58 by fa1
      Author: firechief | Created: 2017-06-05 12:17:32
      Yes it is quite normal. Its due to the variance in floating point arithmetic rounding error on each machine, CPU type and operating system. A collision pushes a car a little further at turn one on your computer compared to mine, and the butterfly effect happens & we end up seeing totally different races.

Hence it makes sense to have as many people submit results as possible in order to calculate a fair average and minimize the effect of outliers.
      Last Edited: 2017-06-05 12:17:32 by firechief
      Author: dummy | Created: 2017-06-05 14:29:33
      BTW congrats Fabian for a great Robot you've build. Mine was much slower in it's first race in 2006 also on Alpine-1.

And did you notice that in your result is something wrong with the 'wdbee racing team' lap time. Maybe you didn't install it correctly?

Danny
      Last Edited: 2017-06-05 14:29:33 by dummy
        Author: fa1 | Created: 2017-06-05 20:18:15
        Thanks! It was really difficult to assume where i would end in the field as last years times weren't comparable to this years.

And i realized that the wdbee were driving quite slowly but i didn't find anything wrong so I believed they might not have found a good setup.

Fabian
        Last Edited: 2017-06-05 20:18:15 by fa1
    Author: fa1 | Created: 2017-06-05 13:06:55
    Cool summary that you've made. It was an interesting first race for me.
    But is it normal, that the race results differ so extremely between the different uploaded results? I was quite surprised by that.

Fabian
    Last Edited: 2017-06-05 13:06:55 by fa1
    Author: timfoden | Created: 2017-06-05 19:43:37
    Nice review, thanks Andrew.

>Both Mouse_2017 cars have trouble stopping, and pound into the
    >back of WALL-E,
    >Tiger 1 now uses Giskard as an extra brake pad,

Ah, Yes, sorry about that. I made changes so that the robots were less likely to brake a long way from a corner when an opponent some distance ahead starts to brake, and it seems to also have caused my robots not to be able to brake correctly when close to the opponent. I'll try to fix this by the next race.

>For no apparent reason, Tiger 2 deviates into the pitlane after
    >crossing the finish line,

This should be fixed now, I'm afraid. :) As are hopefully all the rest of the pitting bugs you (and I, and everyone else) saw.

>Tiger 1 emerging from its second pitstop, having successfully
    >overtaken both Dummies and the DanDroid. Quite an achievement on
    >alpine-1 - the Tigers earn my award for best overtakers in this race.

Thanks for that. The overtaking was quite good in my testing. Not only at the end of the main straight, but also in the last hairpin at the top of the hill climb where it was very eager to dive down the inside vs. most opponents.

--

It seems that the race I ran had the best result for my teams out of all the submissions (even though I still lost both Mice) -- weird how that happens innit? :)

Cheers, Tim.

Last Edited: 2017-06-05 19:44:19 by timfoden
      Author: firechief | Created: 2017-06-06 04:17:39
      > Ah, Yes, sorry about that. I made changes so that the robots were less likely to brake a long way from a corner when an opponent some distance ahead starts to brake, and it seems to also have caused my robots not to be able to brake correctly when close to the opponent. I'll try to fix this by the next race.

From what I saw, it was only a problem when the tyres were stone cold - there were collisions at those first two corners but nowhere else. I've also had problems with my cars doing the same thing, I think its going to be a fairly common issue with most robots.

> ... but also in the last hairpin at the top of the hill climb where it was very eager to dive down the inside vs. most opponents.

My USR robots used to be very keen on that kind of overtake (on the inside on sharp corners), but experience quickly taught me that it was a bad idea & I had to add code to identify such situations & get them to back out. Reason being, if my car arrives alongside as the opponent's already starting to turn in, chances are I'll be squashed against the apex & take damage. Also there used to be quite a few robots that seemed blind to a car on the inside & would slam into you even if you get beside them earlier on - not sure if that's still happening now.

> It seems that the race I ran had the best result for my teams out of all the submissions (even though I still lost both Mice) -- weird how that happens innit? :)

Ah yes, the vagaries of chance, that's all it is :)
      Its actually quite strange how Mouse did so well on fa1 & Danny's races (2nd and 3rd for Danny!) indicating the pit problems didn't strike on their machines as they did on ours. And both Tigers were on course for strong results in my race before the trouble started.

Looking forward to facing the Mouse/Tiger challenge at Wheel-2!
      Last Edited: 2017-06-06 09:59:24 by firechief