The TORCS Racing Board
Username: Password: Remember Me?
Lost Password Register
Author: firechief | Created: 2017-06-26 11:24:21
Subject: Wheel-2 Race Review: DanDroid Strikes Back!
Out of nowhere, the Droids arrive with a new setup and a new attitude! Gone are their days slumming it with the backmarkers, they've decided to return to the sharp end of the grid where they belong. The game is on!!!

As per tradition I have compiled a graphical diary of the race on my machine, which can be seen here: http://imgur.com/a/AZVvx

Next up, e-track-6, which has been one of DanDroid's strongest tracks in recent years. I'm nervous...
Last Edited: 2017-06-26 11:24:21 by firechief
    Author: timfoden | Created: 2017-06-26 13:51:19
    Subject: Re: Wheel-2 Race Review: DanDroid Strikes Back!
    And this time I thought I'd managed to make my cars fast enough that they'd be on the pace (or close to it) for this race... but no, still a second too slow per lap. :)

And for the last days I've been trying a lower downforce setup for wheel-2 (which evidently everyone else was running -- just need to look at the top speeds to come to that conclusion) but still struggling to beat the times put in by the setups I entered into the race.

Anyway well done to Danny for winning the race and giving the USRs some high level competition.

Cheers, Tim.
    Last Edited: 2017-06-26 13:51:19 by timfoden
    Author: dummy | Created: 2017-06-26 21:46:09
    Thanks Andrew for this great review of a great race. This race reminds me of the final race on Wheel-2 in 2015, it was as close as this one.

At the time I thought it would stay competitive for 2016, but then came your dominance of a kind we've not seen before, winning 9 of 10 races.

With the new rules and uncertainty, I thought there could come some new team to challenge USR. The Tigers seemed to be the best hope, but it takes time to iron out the bugs. So I studied what makes USR so fast and found a way to get faster myself. Copying the setup helped a lot, but I also put lots of work into the code and here we have it. A win in the second race which I didn't believe was possible, but to be fair, it was so close, it could have gone either way. A little luck was certainly part of it.

I have to thank Tim for taking part this season. You're the reason why I'm especially motivated to develop my bot further. And hearing your kind words makes it all worthwhile. It shows me, there is nothing better to develop those bots than a good competition.

Danny
    Last Edited: 2017-06-26 21:51:00 by dummy
      Author: firechief | Created: 2017-06-27 03:08:36
      > It shows me, there is nothing better to develop those bots than a good competition.

Actually Danny, Tim's robots are a second off the pace, and (having just started a full-time job) I've had no time at all lately to work on track setups. I think you can safely stop working on DanDroid now, as we won't present much of a challenge to you from here on.

Remember the old maxim - slow & steady wins the race!!!

:D

Seriously though I must say your robot is looking superb. I'll have to find a way to squeeze some extra pace out of my cars, else I can see USR falling behind.
      Last Edited: 2017-06-27 05:54:03 by firechief
        Author: dummy | Created: 2017-06-27 07:48:23
        Very good, as it's safe to stop working on DanDroid's code now. I could work on it's color scheme ;)
        Last Edited: 2017-06-27 07:48:23 by dummy
          Author: firechief | Created: 2017-06-27 08:29:06
          Dammit - that'll make you twice as fast!
          Last Edited: 2017-06-27 08:29:06 by firechief
            Author: jspenn | Created: 2017-06-27 13:07:23
            Agh, not that again!

EDIT: if you don't understand, http://www.berniw.org/trb/forum/showthread.php?topicid=4573 is where this is from.
            Last Edited: 2017-06-27 13:08:26 by jspenn
    Author: fa1 | Created: 2017-06-27 00:31:08
    Thanks for the great summary. It was a great race there in front. Still I hoped that fa1 would be a bit more competitive this time. Especially when I looked at the qualifying time gap to last year. On Alpine 1, the USR was about 2.5 seconds slower than last year. When I was one second slower than the fastest time last year on Wheel 2, I thought to have made a great leap. But it's absolutely stunning that USR and Droid can drive almost the same times on Wheel 2 as last year!!

And what I furthermore realized is that even thought qualifying on 9 and 10, the real racing pace with fuel doesn't reflect this position anymore. And of course, the Fa1 make still far too many errors when it comes to overtaking or driving in the traffic. I'm really struggling with that! And then in my race it even occured that both cars went pitting at the same time eliminating one of them.
    Last Edited: 2017-06-27 00:31:08 by fa1
      Author: firechief | Created: 2017-06-27 03:06:28
      Driving in traffic is actually the hardest problem to solve, at least that's what I found. Its one thing to come up with good raceline code, such that your robot is fast when driving alone. But keeping it fast and mistake-free when it has to leave that racing line to avoid other cars - that's a significant challenge.

Most robots (mine included) approach it by generating three racing lines - the normal one, and a line for the robot to follow along the left and right sides of the track. Then if the bot needs to switch racing lines it needs to do so in a gradual manner to avoid losing control. Its not just steering, speed needs to be taken into account as well. The chicane on wheel-2 can be taken flat-out on the normal racingline, but on left or right lines the car must be a lot slower else it'll spin out.

Then of course you have the problem of the code deciding when the robot should leave the racing line & switch to one of the others. If another car's alongside that makes it straightforward, but overtaking - that's the fun part.
      Last Edited: 2017-06-27 03:06:28 by firechief
      Author: dummy | Created: 2017-06-27 07:51:10
      And yes, the pit code is a ton of work alone. It always amazes me.
      Last Edited: 2017-06-27 07:51:10 by dummy