The TORCS Racing Board
Username: Password: Remember Me?
Lost Password Register
Author: rick | Created: 2017-09-09 06:11:58
Subject: Suggestion - gear ratio setups showing top speeds
Hi all

I guess it'd be nice if the car setup screen showed the top speeds on each gear, so you don't have to do as much trial and error trying to find the ideal speeds for each track.
I don't know if it's an easy thing to implement, but I guess the program should detect the car's engine redline, then the driven wheel's diameter, and do all the math with pi and the gear ratio and diff ratio, and show the top speed in kph as shown on this photoshopped image (I manually calculated the speeds for this): https://ibb.co/bZXGRv

Maybe the ratios part need to be moved somewhere more spatious so the speeds aren't shown at the very edge of the screen, but it's just for the developers to get an idea.

Rick
Last Edited: 2017-09-09 06:11:58 by rick
    Author: firechief | Created: 2017-09-09 15:50:06
    Subject: Re: Suggestion - gear ratio setups showing top speeds
    It'd also need to take wing angles/area & drag coefficient into account, as that has a marked effect on top speed.
    Last Edited: 2017-09-09 15:50:06 by firechief
      Author: rick | Created: 2017-09-09 21:03:31
      That's right, and this is a trickier calculation, but only the theoretical top speeds are fine, that is, the speed at redline even if the car doesn't have the power to reach it, for example some sports cars with economy gears that could theoretically reach over 500 kph at redline, but they're just cruise gears to use on the highway.
      Last Edited: 2017-09-09 21:03:31 by rick
        Author: phi | Created: 2017-09-10 16:45:52
        Hi

In the meantime, you might enjoy playing around with 'TORCS Car Setup Editor' as a workaround (http://www3.uji.es/~martiv/index.html). It's an old program, outdated, but I think it's a bit valid and allows you to observe and create the power curve of the engine and look at speeds relative to the gearbox ratios, among other things. Here you find what you are looking for, and perhaps you could work here and translate this to TORCS setup.

On this page do not click on the left link. Instead, run the page down until you find the program.
        Last Edited: 2017-09-10 16:45:52 by phi