The TORCS Racing Board
Username: Password: Remember Me?
Lost Password Register
Author: firechief | Created: 2017-10-23 13:05:10
Subject: A new track for next year, maybe?
We're all accustomed to the figure 8 at wheel-2, how about a figure 8 with two crossovers?

https://i.imgur.com/FyWmYYF.png

This layout isn't mine, it was designed by a contributor to https://www.reddit.com/r/RaceTrackDesigns/ and he's given his enthusiastic permission for it to be given life in TORCS.

My implementation of it is a bit over 5km in length, a lot of corners so its a high-downforce circuit, however unlike the many narrow tracks in the game I decided to make this one 16m wide to offer plenty of alternate racing lines and overtaking opportunities.

There's still tons of work to be done, I know the 3D modelling around the crossovers will be a real pain in the neck. But already on a bare-bones generated version of the track its very enjoyable to drive, so I definitely expect to see this through to completion.
Last Edited: 2017-10-25 02:18:49 by firechief
    Author: dummy | Created: 2017-10-23 13:34:13
    Subject: Re: A new track for next year, maybe?
    With no one challenging you for the championship, it's time for some track work :)

New tracks are always welcome.
    Last Edited: 2017-10-23 13:34:13 by dummy
    Author: wdbee | Created: 2017-10-24 08:03:25
    Does the length of the pit lane match the number of pits x pit length? ;)

What about using the "A" 3D generation we discussed for SD:

Add just one element per side to the track for each track element and make it cross the simple grid used for the environment?
    Last Edited: 2017-10-24 08:04:41 by wdbee
      Author: firechief | Created: 2017-10-24 08:29:24
      Heh, you're right to ask that question after the mistake I made with Hidden Valley - don't worry I'll make sure the pits are correct this time :)

I received your email, thanks, but I don't know how that "A" 3D generation works as I wasn't part of those SD discussions. I usually add all 3D objects manually and just rely on trackgen to create the surrounding landscape, and I haven't found a way to get it to generate the landscape properly with figure 8 tracks. Any help you could give would be much appreciated!
      Last Edited: 2017-10-24 08:29:24 by firechief
        Author: wdbee | Created: 2017-10-24 16:45:20
        I did send you a mockup based on e-track-5 and a description how to generate it using the TORCS trackgen for the track itself, a small modification of trackgen to generate the additional sloped surfaces and used AC3d to add the grid for the surroundings.

At e-track-5 the barrier is of type fence, so I just changed the barrier height for this type at inner and outer side, nothing more.

Hope this helps to save time.

Wolf-Dieter
        Last Edited: 2017-10-24 16:45:20 by wdbee