The TORCS Racing Board
Username: Password: Remember Me?
Lost Password Register
Author: firechief | Created: 2019-08-05 02:28:55
Subject: Brondehach Discussion
THE RACE: Wow, that was fun. I saw from the moment my cars pitted and the others did not that I had some work to do - my robot was pitting prior to 100% wear, but obviously cars can keep driving for laps after the tread is gone. Despite this there was a close see-saw battle at the front between USR and the Batmobiles (Mouse). Tim's bots had a slight edge in speed, but somehow the USRs were keeping up. Both bots could have been faster, as Tim's were quicker at T1 and the last sector, mine faster through the early/middle sector. This race reminded me of the glory battles from 2006. So glad to see our two robots still slugging it out, still with so little between them, despite both evolving considerably since that time.

Unfortunately the rest of the field couldn't keep up. One of the Wdbees hung on for a while, but by the halfway mark only the USRs and Batmobiles were on the lead lap.

THE BATMOBILES: Wow, what a great idea for car & driver liveries! The robot drove superbly too - no surprise there.

USR: I expected it'd be mid pack, was very surprised to see where it qualified. I did not expect to see it still fighting at the pointy end, finishing 2nd/3rd in my running of the race, 2nd place only 3.5 seconds behind Bobbin.

WDBEE: Navigating through traffic looks better than I remember, not as fast as I expected though.Split strategy didn't work on this track - the slower car just got dropped. By far the most difficult car to overlap - I saw it weaving aggressively in front of overlappers, refusing to let them through.

ROBOTEC: Much too unstable and tail-waggy, caused itself numerous off-track excursions.

THE REST: Sorry I was too busy watching the battle at the front :)
Last Edited: 2019-08-08 07:25:10 by firechief
    Author: dummy | Created: 2019-08-05 20:00:14
    Subject: Re: Brondehach Discusssion
    Indeed, this was great racing from the 2 leading teams. It just shows how hard it is to catch up to those great bots. My bots clearly have a speed problem. Especially on bumpy tracks and the next race has some difficult bumps as well :/
    Will have to learn driving a Mouse for next season ;)
    Last Edited: 2019-08-05 20:00:14 by dummy
    Author: timfoden | Created: 2019-08-08 11:11:45
    Subject: Re: Brondehach Discussion
    >my robot was pitting prior to 100% wear, but obviously cars can keep driving for laps after the tread is gone.

Yes, I was a surprise for me too. I got hit by this in the first race of the season.

>Tim's bots had a slight edge in speed, but somehow the USRs were keeping up.

Mouse was a little faster, but USR is better at overtaking the back markers without wasting time.

>THE BATMOBILES: Wow, what a great idea for car & driver liveries! The robot drove superbly too - no surprise there.

Thanks... but I think you'll find it's THE RATMOBILES!

Last Edited: 2019-08-08 11:11:45 by timfoden
      Author: firechief | Created: 2019-08-08 12:05:42
      Subject: Re: Brondehach Discussion
      > Mouse was a little faster, but USR is better at overtaking the back markers without wasting time.

That's got to be the first time that's ever occurred in the history of the TRB. I still see lots of flaws in USR's overtaking code though. Also, wdbee was by far the biggest obstacle, and it seemed a bit of a lottery as to whether the overlapper was able to slip past quickly before the aggressive waggling started.

> I think you'll find it's THE RATMOBILES!

Haha, RATMOBILES it is!!!

I also like how you went with the 1960s/70s version of "Ratman" and "Bobbin" :)
      Last Edited: 2019-08-08 12:06:59 by firechief