The TORCS Racing Board
Username: Password: Remember Me?
Lost Password Register
Author: firechief | Created: 2019-09-16 08:23:54
Subject: Epic Race @ Corkscrew
That was a truly fascinating race, with three teams contesting for the win. We had two teams following the "hare" strategy in USR and Wdbee - trying to lap as fast as possible while conceding five pitstops, and one being the "tortoise" - the Ratmobiles who only needed four stops.

Well done Tim! I have no idea how you got such incredible wear out of your tyres while still maintaining a pretty fast pace. I tried to do that and simply couldn't - USR was just too slow if I went for a four stopper.

Secondly, this race was like the opposite of Brondehach, where USR was the better overtaker & nullified the laptime advantage of the Ratmobiles. On this tricky tricksy track, the Ratmobiles absolutely shone. Clean, fast overtakes, hardly ever putting a foot wrong or taking damage. The USRs not only hit other cars too often, they couldn't follow each other without colliding at the Corkscrew, and their overtaking was clumsy. This, plus the extra pitstop, meant they had no chance of beating the Ratmobiles in this race. Wdbee fell by the wayside as it wasn't quite fast enough for the hare strategy or good enough at overtaking. It's a pity the Droids weren't fast enough to compete, but I'm guessing they'll bounce back at Wheel-2 which has been a good track for them in the past.

I am absolutely loving this season, and wishing I hadn't missed the first three races. It's really taking me back to the mid 00's where Hymie & Mouse faced off for the first time, but now it's even better as our robots are more evolved, and tyre strategies are a real factor. I can also say that not having to setup the car is a huge improvement. Maybe if the front wing and brake balance were adjustable, that'd be a little better, but I see no need to revert to the old days of multiple cars to select from and fine-tuning dozens of gear, wheel and suspension settings. The focus now is on the robots and their coding, and it's producing some superb racing.
Last Edited: 2019-09-16 08:23:54 by firechief
    Author: dummy | Created: 2019-09-16 09:26:27
    Subject: Re: Epic Race @ Corkscrew
    Well written Andrew. I couldn't add anything to this summary and I always learn some new words (hare or last time dastardly).

My apologies for being indeed dastardly when getting lapped. I hope it's fixed now for the next race ;)

BTW how did the job interview go?
    Last Edited: 2019-09-16 09:26:27 by dummy
      Author: firechief | Created: 2019-09-16 09:36:23
      The job interview? I learned what it feels like to be the second-best candidate. Long feedback phone call, which was nice, full of positive sentiments - but sorry another guy had a bit more experience in this particular role so we went with him, etc.

Have applied for twenty other jobs so far, hoping at least one of them decide I'm worth interviewing. Things are tight over here - the economy's not great at all.

Btw I didn't think Robo/Auto's overlapped behaviour was too bad. It certainly wasn't like wdbee at Brondehach! Could maybe have been a little less pugilant in the corners but on the straights they were ok. Dummy is a lot more kind in waving cars past - too kind, it's like it's no obstacle at all. I don't mind robots making the overlapper earn it by getting close & timing their pass attempt properly, as otherwise the fast cars barely need move off the racing line & that produces processional racing.

I don't know if you watch Formula 1, but I'm reminded of the Hungary Grand Prix in 2014 where Hamilton was asked to let Rosberg past, but didn't do so because Rosberg couldn't quite get close enough. To me, a car in the TRB would be equally justified in ignoring an overlapper that couldn't get close enough, rather than seeing it coming from 20 metres away, slowing and getting off the racing line before it was even in range of a normal overtake attempt.

EDIT: If "hare" was a new word, perhaps you might not know the reference to hares & tortoises? It's based off this old fable:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tortoise_and_the_Hare
      Last Edited: 2019-09-16 09:53:34 by firechief
    Author: timfoden | Created: 2019-09-16 14:33:23
    Yes, it was an interesting race. I totally didn't expect the RatMobiles to win it, particularly after seeing the qualifying times. I only had 3.5 hours on Monday night to work on the setups of both teams, and it probably took about half a hour just to get the Tigers pitting OK and then submit it's release bundle.

On the tyre wear issue, I'm not sure what to say. As far as I observe your team and Danny's team appear to have the same wear rate per lap, but I just seem to be able to push further into the very worn phase of the tyres. There is a lap time penalty for that though (falling off the cliff in F1 parlance.) In this race I think the last 3 laps before pitting lose about 6 seconds total (1 then 2 then 3 seconds respectively) compared to the 4th lap before pitting.

For the setups I agree, and also about being able to set the front wing and brake balance. Mouse struggles with under-steer on car1 with its default settings.

That said, in the 2 years since the 2017 season I have tried various avenues to increasing the speed for Mouse to catch up with the 2017 lap times, and while doing it have tried more cars than I had time for in preparing for that season. Wow, car3 is great isn't it? :) I was a little disappointed not to be able to use it for this season! :)
    Last Edited: 2019-09-16 14:35:45 by timfoden
      Author: firechief | Created: 2019-09-16 14:54:32
      Yes I must admit that part of the fun, when we had new Torcs versions every season with changes to physics, was finding the best car. One year it was car2, the next year car2 was awful and car3 was best. Get that part right and you had a good chance, get it wrong and your season was hamstrung from the outset.

I did some measurement & found that Mouse's wear rate on Corkscrew was definitely superior to USR's, by quite a decent margin. USR was pushing too hard on a few corners for too little gain, as I just used the qualifying setup for the race which wasn't wise. But even toning it back on those corners the best I can get is maybe one more lap between pits - I simply can't get it to 4 stops on this track without being way slower than Mouse.

It's fascinating how the different bots are lending themselves to different strategies. And I'm glad we spent time before the season balancing tyre wear against fuel usage against pit times - it's worked very well indeed.
      Last Edited: 2019-09-16 14:57:23 by firechief
        Author: dummy | Created: 2019-09-16 16:02:57
        >Mouse's wear rate on Corkscrew was definitely superior
        That's my experience as well. IMHO it's the smother handling of steering and acceleration (braking). What makes sense if you think about it :)

I agree with Tim that car3 would be a good choice. Next season?

BTW about the hare, there is something similar in German language. Only there it's a hare with a hedgehog. And I didn't watch F1 since I started racing in the TRB, haha.
        Last Edited: 2019-09-16 16:04:04 by dummy