The TORCS Racing Board
Username: Password: Remember Me?
Lost Password Register
Author: firechief | Created: 2019-10-07 10:44:54
Subject: Wheel-2 - RatMobiles Too Good
Tim showing that his code is just a class above the rest of us. Again :)

Way WAY superior tyre wear, while being the fastest car on the track, and not making any mistakes while breezing past backmarkers as if they're not even there.

This robot is just magical. Personally I have no idea how to compete with it - but it'll still be fun trying :)
Last Edited: 2019-10-07 10:44:54 by firechief
    Author: dummy | Created: 2019-10-07 11:10:55
    Subject: Re: Wheel-2 - RatMobiles Too Good
    So true, I already made the decision to use mouse next year. That is if I can make it as fast as Tim.

BTW you should be 2nd. Results got messed up, because wdbee removed you in his race.
    Last Edited: 2019-10-07 11:10:55 by dummy
      Author: firechief | Created: 2019-10-07 12:29:28
      If you use Mouse, mind if I hack around with your code? Maybe we can persuade Tim to take on the god-awful mess that is USR :D
      Last Edited: 2019-10-07 12:29:28 by firechief
      Author: timfoden | Created: 2019-10-13 16:58:20
      Well the major difference between the Tigers and the Rats this year is the .spr file... which is basically a hard coded racing line.

So all you need to do is work out a better racing line than me. :)
      Last Edited: 2019-10-13 16:58:20 by timfoden
        Author: dummy | Created: 2019-10-14 11:44:00
        Thanks for the tips. It sounds very easy :)
        Last Edited: 2019-10-14 11:44:00 by dummy
    Author: timfoden | Created: 2019-10-13 16:46:56
    Not so sure about the again bit! But my car seems to like this track.

Also since the 2017 season it was one of the tracks I spent a lot of time testing the against while developing the new code (e-track-6 was another). I got mouse approximately up to the speed of USR in most of the 2017 tracks I think (using car3 with USR's settings of course. :) )

Mouse's ability with tyre wear is just luck I guess. I didn't make any changes to the code to decrease tyre wear for this seasons new rules.
    Last Edited: 2019-10-13 16:46:56 by timfoden
      Author: firechief | Created: 2019-10-14 07:27:24
      > Mouse's ability with tyre wear is just luck I guess. I didn't make any changes to the code to decrease tyre wear for this seasons new rules.

This, to me, is the biggest mystery to solve (when I have time) as it's what gives Mouse its biggest advantage. Besides being able to navigate traffic so flawlessly - that too is pretty huge ;)

I know with USR I often achieve good laptimes by trying to make it carry more speed through corners than the car is comfortable with, and with an understeering monster like car1 that means under acceleration the front wheels are turned more than the car's rotating, hence those tyres have a fair amount of side-slipping going on which wears them out. Obviously Mouse isn't doing this and the fronts in particular are lasting way longer than USR's.
      Last Edited: 2019-10-14 07:27:24 by firechief
        Author: timfoden | Created: 2019-10-17 08:54:07
        >I know with USR I often achieve good laptimes by trying to make it carry more speed through corners than the car is comfortable with...

This wouldn't be the speed improvement implied by this old comment would it?

>>One thing I must say is that my solution for gaining extra pace is in fact very simple, and it continues to surprise me that nobody else appears to have implemented something similar. And that's all I'll say on the subject :)

(From this thread: http://www.berniw.org/trb/forum/showthread.php?topicid=4430)

I never did work out what you were talking about there. :)
        Last Edited: 2019-10-17 08:54:07 by timfoden
          Author: firechief | Created: 2019-10-18 06:32:29
          Heh, you should have asked me three years ago! I have no idea what it was now - and no it wasn't pushing cars through corners too fast.

Whatever the feature was at the time, it's certainly not enough to get me pole position anymore ;)
          Last Edited: 2019-10-18 06:32:29 by firechief
        Author: timfoden | Created: 2019-10-17 09:01:06
        >> Mouse's ability with tyre wear is just luck I guess. I didn't make any changes to the code to decrease tyre wear for this seasons new rules.

> This, to me, is the biggest mystery to solve (when I have time)

Well, I didn't make any changes for tyre wear *specifically* for this seasons new rules. I did make changes (before the new rules were published) to make the control more accurate, which in turn made it smoother. This has been commented on by dummy in another thread, and perhaps this is a reason for the lower tyre wear.
        Last Edited: 2019-10-17 09:01:06 by timfoden
    Author: timfoden | Created: 2019-10-21 10:13:26
    I've been meaning to post quick note about what caused your USR bots bots to place badly compared to the other submitted results in my race, but keep forgetting...

It was at one of the rounds of pit-stops (probably 2nd round, maybe 3rd.) One of the USRs just completed pitting, exited its pit box, and was on its way out of the pit area (but still in the pit lane) when the other one sailed past the pit lane entry with about 1L of fuel left. It ran out of fuel, but still managed to make it's way (very slowly) around the track and pit. In the mean time the other USR caught up to it, and fell in behind following it slowly around the track.

As you can imagine these antics resulted in both of the USRs dropping a long way down the race rankings.

I don't recall ever seeing the USRs have a pitting issue like this before. Seems like it likely has a very low probability of happening, so you may not have seen it either.
    Last Edited: 2019-10-21 10:16:18 by timfoden
      Author: dummy | Created: 2019-10-21 14:46:30
      Haha. The joy of implementing pit stops. I wouldn't like to know how much time I spent on mine. And it's still nowhere near, how I would like it to be :)
      Last Edited: 2019-10-21 14:46:30 by dummy